I am an Analyst (2nd year) at BCG Knowledge group in Russia. I would like to do a transition to KPMG on Associate Consultant (2nd year) position.
- KG is a separate cohort at BCG, and we have only 3 steps in career track: Analyst, Senior Analist (in average you will spend 3-4 years on Analyst position), Topic specialist (in average you will spend 6-7 years on S.Analyst position). That is much longer than on Consultant track (in 6-7 years you may become Project Leader or Principal).
- Benefits for Analyst are the same as for Associate, workload is less.
- Change the track limitations. You can change the track to Consultant track (only Associate or S.Associate positions) any time, but the nearest enter to the company dates will be in January-March 2013. (there is no benefits for current employees, you must succeed in all interview as everyone else from outside - my colleague spent 2 years as an Analyst and didn't succeed, other two colleagues changed the track successfully and now they are Associates).
- For my professional development I would like to do consulting rather than analytics
- My several elder colleagues went out of BCG last year. They work at KPMG in Advisory (on Manager, Director and Partner positions), I succeeded on interviews and received an offer for Associate position, 2d year
- Benefits are higher at KPMG: salary (up 40%), bonus is the same, social benefits are similarly the same with not crucial differences, KPMG even agreed to pay me a fixed bonus to compensate the difference in bonus that I will not receive if I leave BCG in mid-year
- Growth is faster (you may become Manager in 1-1.5 years).
- Good team, same market and projects.
Why I'm still thinking of this offer? Could you please help me to answer these questions:
- What is better: to wait and transfer to Associte at BCG or move to consulting at KPMG?
- May I return to Consultant position at BCG (3d level between S.Associate and Project Leader) after 1.5-2 years with KPMG? (I can't directly ask my manager or HR at BCG)
- Is it a good opportunity for trasfer, will I benefit? Maybe you may recommend another company or way for career development
Please feel free to ask any questions to clarify my situation
Thanks a lot